Sunday, January 26, 2014

Japanese Maiden - Only Back Stitching Left

I reached an important goal last night. I finished stitching the Japanese Maiden by Dimensions Gold. I had just enough of the floss to complete the last part of the border, and I was sweating it. The stitching is all finished. All that remains is the back stitching and that will take almost as long as stitching the whole piece -- or at least that is the way it feels. 

Every stitch is in place and I'm ready to add the definition that comes with back stitching so the flowers, birds, leaves, and details of this bride's clothes will pop. I'm really done with the stitching. I finished. 

This is where I was last weekend with just the upper corner to do.

Here is where I stopped last night after taking out an extra row of stitching and cleaning up the tag ends on the back. She is done.

When I begin a project, I am always excited about the journey to come. At about the mid point, I feel like I'll never be done, especially with large projects like this. Like a pregnant woman who is close to her due date, I'm ready for it all to be over, the last stitch in place and the job finished. I look back over everything I've accomplished and get that warm glow of accomplishment that comes before the inevitable slide into the place where I realize I still have all that back stitching to do. It's a little like a roller coaster ride, with ups and downs and sideways bumps and careening around the tight curves, and the results are almost always good.

I did take a little while yesterday to stitch a birthday card for a friend, but came right back determined to finish -- and I did.

Whatever the ride stitching is for you, it's always worth it. Happy stitching.



No comments:

Post a Comment