Sunday, September 8, 2013

Anniversaries

This is the first time I have stitched a project for an anniversary or wedding. Mother's Day, Xmas, Easter, even birthdays, I've done, but never an anniversary.

The hardest part hasn't been the stitching, although I've had my share of problems. I usually do with repetitious patterns. I stitch a different section than I'm on and end up having to tear it out and restitch it the right way. I usually use a highlighting marker for this (erasable of course), but decided to forego it. Maybe I shouldn't have.

The hardest part has been finding out when my uncle and aunt's anniversary is. Their side of the family didn't know and neither did my aunt's sister. I thought I knew but it was wrong. My cousin found out the answer by having someone ask at her daughter's housewarming, which was last night. At least that is what I think they were all doing over at the new house Kaley just bought. It makes sense, but few things do make sense. Anyway, I finally have the date. My uncle was wrong, thinking it was before his birthday; it is after his birthday by the same amount of time -- 6 days. When I called to ask my uncle, which was my last resort, he didn't know for sure. He told me he didn't even know my aunt's birthday until they had been married a year (and had a child).

Anyway, here are the pictures I've taken since I began this project on Wednesday last. I put everything else aside to work on it and have spent some time working on it this weekend. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to do the outer border or leave it and use a decorative mat. Time will tell.





This is the motif that gave me so much problems. It's a lovely Celtic knot but the design is everywhere. I did the central section in about an hour or so.




I chose this design from My Big Toe Cross-Stitch Designs and used Gentle Art Sampler threads (Mountain Mist & Raven). I could have used DMC, but I like the variable color in the threads recommended for this piece. It was stitched on 32-count cream Belfast linen. 

The central section. Yes, those are my fingers hold the fabric as straight as possible.




Two of the 4 sides done. Looking good, but you cannot imagine how much effort it took to get there. I had to rip out whole sections because I wasn't looking at the right section of the repeating design.





And now there is a date. Names, too.

When in doubt, rip it out and start over. Next time I'll use the highlighter. It's easier keeping track that way. Now I finish a section of the central and outer design, one at a time. It's slow, but so is getting off track, ripping it out, and stitching it all over again the right way.

I may have to put together some wedding and anniversary designs and leave out the names and date just so I won't have to rush when it comes time to send the gift.

Happy stitching.








No comments:

Post a Comment