Sunday, December 8, 2013

Stockings ready to hang

Since I got all the pieces for finishing my grandchildren's stockings yesterday, I got busy, and I do mean busy. I haven't sewn anything this ambitious by hand in ages, so I decided do sew all three stockings by hand. It took all day, but the results are nice.

Here are Addy and Tori's stockings put together without the lining and hanger. I saw some metal snowflakes and decided to add them to the design. I used winter cream felt for the backing.

 Jordan's stocking is put together with its blue felt backing.

I went with a plain white cotton lining last year, but I had some christmasy material that I got by mistake when I ordered quilted fabric. I should have checked because the fabric should have been pre-quilted and not ready for quilting. Never one to waste anything, I used it for the lining this year and for a bit of color at the top of Addy and Tori's stockings.

I made a hanger out of the cross stitch material for Addy's stocking.

The lining fabric was so pretty I decided to use it to make the hanger for Tori's stocking.

A braided yarn hanger is all that I added to Jordan's stocking to make it ready to hang. The lining is hidden inside waiting to be filled by Santa Christmas Eve.

All three stockings and linings were sewn by hand. I can still do that - the sewing I mean. It would have been faster on the sewing machine, but I decided to put a little extra time and love into these stockings. They're done and ready for mailing now. The kids won't see them until Christmas morning, but hopefully their parents will like what they see.

Don't forget to click on the pictures to see the expanded view. Happy stitching.




1 comment: