Monday, November 18, 2013

Remembering Santa

This morning, my aunt sent me a photo of the Santa Claus they have hung on the wall for over 40 years as part of their annual decorations. The Santa was rescued from the trash bin at my mothers, to whom I had originally given it. My aunt and uncle rescued it and my aunt had it cleaned, framed and matted, and has hung it proudly every year since then. I did a lot of Santas over 20 years ago when I began cross stitching and I wasn't sure which one it was. I still can't believe it was in the trash, but I'm sure a lot of things went into the trash that were gifts from me. I'm not upset at all; my mother also gave away a Gutenberg Bible, and original Gutenberg Bible worth millions of dollars, but then she wasn't knowledgeable about such things.

So, here we are this morning and I look for the first time on the piece I stitched more than 2 decades ago and I begin to remember. I remember it was in a magazine and said everything I wanted to say about Xmas and Santa Claus -- and it is beautiful (even if I did stitch it).

 I think he's beautiful and I'm glad he has a home where he is loved and appreciated. 

My aunt also sent me a photo of the anniversary sampler's new home among a photo of their extensive family and their 3 youngest grandchildren. She said it was the sampler's permanent home and I'm pleased it has what my uncle told me is a place of honor.

Not a bad beginning to the morning or the first working day of the week. When it all comes down to it, where a gift ends up, preferably where someone loves and appreciates the gift, is where it belongs. I'm thankful for my aunt and uncle rescuing Santa and sharing him with me and everyone who visits their home during the holidays.

Happy stitching.


No comments:

Post a Comment