Monday, February 24, 2014

February Update

This has been a bad couple of weeks for me, so I'm making myself feel better by sharing what I'd accomplished before all the disaster hit my house -- and me.

I finished the last section on the left side of the tree skirt and began work on the right half. I didn't get very far, but it's a beginning. I also finished one smaller piece from Sweetheart Tree and go down to the crunch without the beads on another Sweetheart Tree piece. I'd say Sweetheart Tree is my favorite designer of smaller pieces -- so far.

Now for the tree skirt unveiling. Click on the pictures to make them bigger and see the slide show.


This is everything up to now, without the back stitching and beads. It is beginning to look like something at last. Stitched on 14-count white Aida with provided thread, silver braid, iridescent blue blending filament, and blue, white, and lavender beads.


Close-up of last part of left half of design. The tips of the ribbon got cut off when I cut the section, but they are there. I guarantee that . . . and they're also visible in the above photo.


The little bit I managed before the disaster. Like I said before, it's a beginning and that is where everything starts.


I have a thing for dragonflies so I decided on Dragonfly Dreams by Sweetheart Tree. I have trouble with the Algerian stitch that goes on the inside border. I couldn't seem to get it even or make it look quite right, so I'd been practicing just a line of Algerians on a scrap of cloth, working on them until they look good enough to put into the actual piece. There are beads, beads, beads to add, but I'll get to them eventually.

Stitched on 28 count Platinum Belfast Linen using #SV-CP375 Lavender Cats-Eye Luminescent Bead (included), DMC floss and Mill Hill Antique Seed Beads. Stitch count 56wx56h.



The last one from Sweetheart Tree is Spring Fantasy. I love the delicate colors and the hint of spring that this evokes. It too should have a line of Algerian stitches around the inside border, but (as you can see by the holes that will disappear with washing and ironing) I couldn't get them to look right so I finished the beading and back stitching. I imagine that once I get the stitch down, I will revisit this and add the Algerians. Otherwise, this is as finished as it gets before framing. Can't decide on a card or a box for treasures for this one. That remains to be seen.

Stitched on 28 Ct. Confederate Gray linen with DMC floss, Mill Hill beads, 2.5mm White pearls and a pink cat's eye heart treasure. 47H x 47W

Oh, the disaster. Well, I took a nasty fall that left me with a fractured ankle, 2 broken toes (still black and beginning to look reddish-purple in a couple spots, but mostly black), and a badly sprained wrist. It has taken me quite a while to get this all down since I can only type one-handed with the slow assist of a couple fingers on the right hand. Yes, you read that right. My right hand is in a brace and I'm off work and can't stitch and can't find my Kindle. I know it's around here somewhere, and I will find it, but until I do, there are still lots of books to prop up on a pillow on my lap and read. Good thing I use my left hand for turning pages.

Happy stitching.




No comments:

Post a Comment