Saturday, July 27, 2013

Getting there

There were times I thought I'd never get this one don. There are so many color changes: a couple stitches here and then a few more over there and then over there and over there with no discernible pattern to the stitches. That is what makes this stocking in particular a real bear to do. But here I am in the final stages, beginning the outlining and putting the name on the stocking. (click on picture for close-up)

The name is done by couching, running two gold wire threads around in the shape of letters and tacking them down with a coordinating color of floss. I don't mind couching when it's free form or even a little structured, but doing letters . . . not so much. 

Dimensions makes this particular pattern and they do include everything. A whole lot of gold wire for blending elements, couching, and outlining, and a less than adequate amount of floss for the rest of the project. Some colors are in short supply, which is why it is necessary to make the stitches perfect the first time. There is almost no room for error in this complex pattern. Dimensions provides sufficient beads and gold wire, but not enough thread in the colors that matter the most. I don't know about you, but I don't like substituting DMC (or Anchor or whatever brand you use) for the packaged thread. Colors within different dye lots can be very different, so imagine colors from a different company. You would have to have either a color chart from the company (preferably with actual thread and not just a photo) in order to get as close as possible, but don't count on getting a perfect match. The odds are not in your favor. 

I'm proud of what I've accomplished, in spite of the frustration, agony, and nearly chucking the whole thing, but then I hear my mother's voice telling me I never finish anything and I keep going. In fits and false starts at time, but the results are plain to see. I'm nearly done. 


The picture is lovely and will look even better once all the back stitching is finished, and there is a sense of pride in getting this one finished at last. I bought the kit from 123stitch.com and recommend them for their customer service. I would have preferred to have just the pattern and buying my own materials, but there is not that option with Dimensions, and especially not Dimensions Gold. I have found that Dimensions often miscalculates the materials, giving more than enough for some and not enough of more crucial threads. Still, it is a beautiful pattern and, aside from the fussy little stitch changes, not too difficult if you're a seasoned stitcher.

If you want to make this particular stocking, get your kits now. Dimensions also retired some kits sooner than others.

Happy stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment