Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Five down and one to go

Finally. I'm finished with Savannah's Xmas stocking and have only Jordan's to do. This has been a long and full year so far, not that I haven't done other projects, too, but mostly I've worked on the stockings.

Savannah's has a few different features, but not too many. Little tweaks and tricks that make it unique and I think more effective.


The finished stocking


This is what the stockings looks like finished with the blending filament, silver cording, and beads attached.   Although I dislike back stitching, it does enhance the magnolias nicely and brings out the folds of the big blue bow in the center.


 You can almost see the shimmer of the opalescent blue blending filament in the snowflakes in the center and on the bauble to the left.





The beads on the blue bauble to the right and the silver cording on the bauble to the left are better shown here. 













Although barely visible, I did something different with the silver tops of the ornaments. Instead of the provided silver braid used elsewhere to nice effect, I used some Japan silver from Kreinik I've had for over 20 years. Because the Japan silver has a long, smooth shape, it makes a better ornament top and looks almost like the real thing -- or as real as it gets in x-stitch. You can catch a glimmer of the blending filament, same opalescent bluish lavender used elsewhere on snowflakes and the other ornament, outlining the central band of beading on the right. 
 
When you get right down to it, the Winter White stocking is quite lovely and it is worth all the effort to make it. This turned out better than I had hoped with the changes I made, and it will make a lovely gift come Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment