Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Just when you think it's taking forever...





Well, I'm finally finished. I put the last couching stitch in the Kreinik #8 braid (gold - 002) and rolled it up ready for washing, pressing, and taking to the framers. There were times I didn't think I'd ever get this one done and did several other projects to ease the frustration, but it is done. I'll take it to the framer tomorrow to get an idea of cost for this and for the companion piece I stitched 20+ years ago. I am glad to have it finished. So very glad, which is not to say I'm not proud of the accomplishment, just that I wished sometimes it didn't take so long.






I thought I'd share more of the individual elements. It's interesting to see how a few stitches and some back stitching can create a recognizable image.

 Like the quail peering out from behind a tree or the birds in the rest of the trees.



More birds and a fish surfacing in the water.




A song bird and a moth.

The two lovebirds at the left corner. Love birds always remind me of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.



A little dragonfly and the letter C illuminated.


The little fellow in the right corner is wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes, something I didn't realize until I back stitched him.

This was the final step, couching in the gold braid. You can almost see it gleam.

And this is how it all goes together. There is far more back stitching in this piece than any other I've done and a lot of tiny elements that have to be stitched, back stitched, and connected by vines. As frustrating as it was at time, I am glad I stitched it -- and that it is actually finished.

One thing I've learned is not to be afraid or daunted by any project. I may have to rip out sections (which is why I prefer to buy patterns and use my own floss), but in the end it is worth it for the pleasure it gives. 

Happy stitching.


No comments:

Post a Comment