Sunday, August 25, 2013

Updates and Beginnings

I've been busy with other projects, but did want to update the illuminated manuscript from the original Cross Stitch & Country Crafts Sep/Oct 1991 issue. It took some research and hunting to find this particular issue.

The pattern calls for 15 x 19 Cream Lugana (25-ct). The pattern includes colors for Anchor and DMC (3 strands) with Kreinik Balger 002 blending filament. The first design was in Cross Stitch & Country Crafts Jan/Feb 1990 issue.




A close-up of the new work shows where the blending filament takes center stage even on the borders.




I've also included the Winter White tree skirt I am making for myself. I don't know if I"ll get done by Xmas, but I'm going to give it my best efforts.



The tree skirt comes as a kit, but I have worked this particular pattern on 2 Xmas stockings for my grandchildren. I am familiar with the design and the materials, which makes the whole process a little easier.

 It doesn't look like much, but there are a lot of stitches in what is here. Already I can see it coming together, Xmas bulbs, ribbon, and tree branches. I bought the backing fabric last year and now I've decided to put aside my fears of beginning such  large project and just do it. I think it will turn out beautifully -- and it is the first tree skirt I've ever owned. My parents used a sheet and so did I over the years. Hopefully, this Yule I will have a brand new cross stitched tree skirt for my tree worthy of my collection of ornaments. I'll add a few new ornaments this year that I've cross stitched as well.







This one is a Mill Hill Bead kit and it turned out quite nicely. It won't go on my tree because I gave it to one of my granddaughters to go with her stocking last year. This ornament is stitched on perforated paper and takes very little time at all.






This is one of 12 ornaments from Sweetheart Tree depicting the 12 Days of Christmas. This is obviously 4 calling birds. I don't have all the patterns yet, but I'm working on finding them all. The pattern comes with little tiny flower embellishments to which You add Mill Hill beads, of course. Those are the little red dots.

Although it is nearly September, in some way it is always Xmas/Yule in this house since I began cross stitching again and making gifts for family and friends.

I've set myself a new task that will require some designing on my own. Two Xmas stockings with a rather gory theme -- zombies, skeletons, and all things horrific. The boys who will likely end up with these stockings are big gore fans and the traditional Xmas themes just will not work for them, hence the need to design what I need. I think I have the problem whipped, so we'll see what comes.

Happy stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment