Thursday, August 9, 2012

Xmas stockings Part Deux

I know. Pretentious that Part Deux, but it works for movies.

On to the next offering in the Xmas stockings, finished and unfinished.

I thought the next pattern was cute, but not as cute as one I remembered from years ago, a white kitten playing with a red or blue glass ornament from a tree. Since I couldn't find that one and had recently spaced on how to find it (the way I found the sunflower pattern for Jillie's afghan), I chose a pattern that had kittens, ribbons, ornaments, and Xmas tree limbs. It was a choice and it turned out so much better than I thought it would.


 Sorry about the angle. It was late. I was tired. I'm not a great photographer. Pick one excuse and run with it.


At any rate, this one is for Ariyanna. The stocking doesn't have the sparkle of the Winter White stockings or the difficulty factor of some of the others, but it is cute. Very cute.

As it emerged from the blob of stitches and showed more personality and nuance, I was happy with my choice. 


I did find the white kitten playing with the red ornament under the tree, but I have no more grandchildren to make stockings for, although I might consider stockings for relatives or friends or someone who would like one for their favorite kid for Xmas.


A closeup view of the cats shows a better view of their eyes, which are gorgeous, and some of the details not visible on this view.





It's not flashy, but it is adorable and I think it will stand the test of time. I hope Nonny, Ariyanna's nickname and a name that fit on the upper section of the stocking, will think so.











This is the ornament that goes with the stocking. It will be cut out in a circle, hence the circular pattern to the stitching, and will be ribboned and added to a few little trinkets inside the stockings for Xmas giving.













Winter White stockings have ornaments that go with the stocking, and a ribbon was included, a green ribbon.  You can almost see it in the shadow of my arm and the camera. What you cannot easily see, thanks to my ham-handed photography, is the iridescent blue snowflake among the background pattern surrounding one of the magnolia blossoms similar to the snowflakes on the body of the stocking.

Since not all the stockings had ornaments, I've decided to do an ornament for Sierra's stocking and not one for the boys, Connor because he's gone and Jordan is much too mature and old for an ornament. He'll get something else in his stocking.






Sierra's stocking appealed to me because of its design of snow woman and birds, but also because of the artistry, which always translates into difficulty.

The shading is achieved with half cross stitches, called satin stitches in Europe (something I discovered on another project).

The coloring is beautiful and I love the birds, but they are somewhat difficult to back stitch. I had even forgot I wasn't finished back stitching this one. Back stitching is not my favorite part of the x-stitch process; I prefer patterns that do not need to be back stitched.









There is a sunflower on the snow lady's hat, some seeds in the divot in the center of the hat, and lots of birds. I do love the birds.














This cardinal is partially back stitched and I do like the suet and seed bell hanging from the tree branch. It reminds me of the ones my grandmother hung on her trees throughout the winter.










The last little bird and he isn't back stitched at all.  I obviously have a little more work to do on this and will finish it once the wedding afghan is done.

I didn't even mind all the changes in the thread colors necessary for some of the birds, but I did decide to leave out the continuation of the branches and trees in the background above the name.

I haven't decided whether to use a bird for the ornament or do the suet-seed bell instead. Maybe a combination of both: bird head and a bit of wing eating from the bell. That might just do it.





The last stocking is Jordan's and it is way more challenging than I realized. Lots of color changes and shifts from half cross to cross stitches, but this one has fine gold wire as part of the design and gold beads for the wreath in the center of the sled that is the focal point and the main theme of the stocking. It's a bit hard to tell just from what I have already done, but it will be beautiful -- if I can stop making mistakes and having to tear out sections to get it right.

Getting off even one stitch on the count is disastrous in a project like this. You can fudge it but it won't look right in the end, which is why I have spent much more time on this one than I usually need to. My x-stitching skills are a bit rusty, but coming along.


In the end, it is all about enjoying the process of x-stitching, even when you want to crumple it up and throw it to the birds and mice to rip apart instead of tearing out a section again and beginning over. For me, it is also about making something that will last for years and may be handed down or even used, a legacy of love in colored thread and even weave fabric that won't end up in a jumble of toys in the toy box or laid out for a garage sale. Personal gifts made with x-stitch and love last forever, not only in the lives of the recipient, but in the memory of the stitcher -- mistakes and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment