Sunday, August 26, 2012

At last! Afghan

Well, Jillian's wedding afghan is done. The back stitching is finished, and helped point out some areas I missed stitching, and the fringe has been fringed and tied. It doesn't get better than this.

The afghan has been packaged and is ready for the mail tomorrow, along with a note inside to explain how to care for the afghan. It did turn out beautifully, but the only picture I took was before it was fringed. Behold the finished and closeup of the finished before fringing.



I am pleased that it's done. Now I can finish Savannah and Jordan's Xmas stockings and move on to a much bigger project, the one that proves I am insane. I decided to go with Teresa Wentzler's Mermaid.

I received the last of the thread yesterday. The fabric is already prepared and the floss has been carded and numbered. It nearly fills an entire 17-compartment plastic box.

I separate the colors and put them in numerical order in a project box, unless the project is a kit, in which case I go with the floss separated on a paper palette of sorts. That's what I have with the Xmas stockings.

At any rate, I will keep at least one small project going, like the leopard that I'm making. It's from Lanarte and on a fabric I've not seen or used before, but it's coming along. I've found having a task light helps to shine light directly on the stitching area. My eyes aren't what they used to be -- or at least that is what I thought until I remembered I used to have a task light when I stitched 20 years ago. My eyes are succumbing to the rigors of age and constant use, but I'm not even close to being blind, just a little more far-sighted than I once was. I use reading glasses to help and a task light to shine much needed light on the subject.

I will leave you with a progress picture on the leopard, which is a beautiful piece of art work. I hope I can do it justice.

The package above and the work in progress below. 


Keep stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Jackie! The wedding afghan is stunning. I just know Jillian is going to love it. Here's to another gift from the heart that is sure to become a treasured family heirloom to be passed on for generations to come. :-)

    The Lanarte leopard is coming along beautifully, as well. I wouldn't call such an undertaking a small project at all. That majestic creature is going to be ready to leap off the fabric by the time you've finished working your magic on it. It's sure to be a breathtaking and cherished work of art.

    ReplyDelete