Monday, August 5, 2013

Stitching with Gold

I worked on the Xmas sled stocking this past weekend and actually got somewhere. I left in old stitches that will eventually be pulled so you can see the difference between using 4 stitches instead of the 2 listed, especially when working with the gold wire. The wire reminds me of DMC's gold filament wire, which I also bought and will be using on one of the Celtic group, Celtic Christmas.


 I began the lettering too far left and the letters look faint.







As you can see, the gold thread looks much more prominent here. I'm not happy about the single thread that holds the gold in place because I can see it. 



Here the couching on the top of the sled is much clearer and I like the curlicues that form off the leaves. Much still isn't done, but there a lot more done than what I started with over the weekend.








In this closeup, you can see the individual details better.





The pine boughs are all done here as are the pine cones and the leafy detail. The leaves are made by combining the gold filament wire and the floss. Seen in person, it glitters with just enough gold.











On the left hand side, geese fly by in the cold winter sky at dawn. There are no special gold threads here, just half and full crosses and back stitching in 2 colors: black and brown, to make the geese look like they're flying.


This is a closer view of the geese. The effect is like impressionist art, more effective from a distance.









This has been a complex project, but I am glad I tackled it and am close to finishing. All that is left is the gold couching on the ribbons, some trees, a bit of back stitching, and putting on the name, and then it's time to cut out the stocking, backing, and lining for the inside and stitch it all together. I'll attach a braided hanger I already made and set it aside for Xmas. I'm already anxious to begin on the next project and the one after that and the one after that.

There are plenty of frustrations and a lot of fun in cross stitching, but for me the payoff is giving the work away to someone who will appreciate it. It's no fun keeping it all to myself.

Happy stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment